At present, many foreigners come to Vietnam to live, work and settle permanently, and they already have a foreign driving license, if they fail to convert this foreign driving license into an equivalent driving license, they can be fined as per the regulations of the Road Traffic Law in Vietnam. So where can a foreign driver convert his driving license, and what should they do?
According to Article 41 of the Circular No. 12/2017/TT-BGTVT dated April 15, 2017 on training, examination and granting of motor vehicle driving licenses by the Minister of Transport, Circular No. 188/2016/TT-BTC dated November 08, 2016 of the Ministry of Finance:
Conditions for foreigners to be converted driving licenses in Vietnam:
- Foreigners who have been living, working or studying in Vietnam for 3 months or more;
- Foreigners who register for temporary residence or long-term residence at the locality where they request for converting the driving license;
- Foreign driver’s license has all the necessary elements: it is still valid, the class of vehicle permitted to be controlled, no signs of erasing or tearing, no difference in identification;
- Temporary foreign driving licenses or international driving licenses shall not be converted.
- Note: If you have an international driver’s license issued by the competent authority of the countries participating in the Road Traffic Convention and it is still valid, you shall be entitled to drive the type of automobile stipulated in the driving license without converting it into Vietnam driver’s license.
Service of converting driver’s license for foreigners is used in order to simplify the procedure for preparing documents for foreigners to own lawful driving licenses in Vietnam in the shortest possible time, saving time and money of customers.
Necessary documents for conversion of foreign driving licenses issued to foreigners:
- An application for conversion of a driving license made according to the stipulated form (form used for foreigners)
- The translation of the foreign driver’s license into Vietnamese certified by the notary public or the Embassy or Consulate of the foreign country in Vietnam in which the translator works and sealing with the copy of the driving license; in case where there’s any suspicious signs, the agency in charge of converting the driving license shall make a written request to the Embassy or Consulate of the country which issues the driver’s license in Vietnam for verification;
- A copy of the passport (passport number, full name and photo of the passport holder, validity duration and visa page for entry into Vietnam), identity card or diplomatic or public affairs ID issued by the Vietnamese Ministry of Foreign Affairs or copy of the residence card, temporary residence cards, permanent residence cards or papers evidencing permanent residence in Vietnam for foreigners; in case where there’s any suspicious signs, the agency in charge of converting the driving license shall make a written request to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Immigration Department under the Ministry of Public Security and the Immigration Division under the public security of the provinces or cities directly under the central government for verification.
The documents, procedures for applying for and converting driving licenses in Vietnam are still very complicated, causing many difficulties for customers. Understanding this difficulty, TinLaw Law Consultancy Company provides customers with the service of converting driver’s license for foreigners in Vietnam.
Why choose TinLaw to convert driver’s licenses for foreigners?
- Has more than 10 years of experience in the service industry, a team of experienced professionals in the law field who work professionally;
- Completing more than 10,000 applications for visa extension, issuance of temporary residence cards, work permits, driving licenses for foreigners in Vietnam;
- Committing prestigious service, bringing confidence to customers;
- Processing effectively, quickly, at competitive prices, guaranteeing no extra fees during implementation;
- Don’t need to wait;
- Receiving results within 5 working days;
- Ensuring documents are completed, timely delivery of the documents to customers;
- Large company with over 100 consultants who offer free information 24/7
You are a foreigner who wishes to convert your driver’s license for convenience in travelling and living in Vietnam can contact TinLaw’s foreign driver’s license conversion service for free assistance.